What I Learned On My 90 Day Juice Feast/ Solid Food Vacation
Originally published: January 18th, 2020
"Only those who go where few have gone can see what few have seen".
On October 7th, 2019 I decided that I’d spend the last 3 months of 2019 consuming nothing but fresh cold pressed organic juice from fruits, vegetables, and herbs. I’ve always been an “action” type of person when it comes to learning. I like to “DO” so that I am able to speak from a place of experience and not just ignorance and assumptions. And boy, did I experience a LOT. Here’s some of my conclusions:
1. Juice feasting (abstaining from solid food) is JUST AS MUCH a spiritual thing as it is a physical thing. Especially when the majority of your calories are coming specifically from fruit juice. Fruits are extremely high in electromagnetic energy and “biophotons”. They’re powerful lymph movers and they’ll move & clean things out of the body that have been stored for many many years- even since childhood. One example is: you can be having a great day with lots of energy… and then all of a sudden you’ll feel strong intense emotions that you previously would’ve suppressed come to the surface. In the past I may have suppressed those emotions with junk food, some type of prescription drug, marijuana, or any unhealthy habit. But when all you have is your own thoughts (and your juice), you have no choice but to face your demons or give up on yourself. Well, I wasn’t going to give up. I found myself praying a LOT. Every single day, all throughout the day. I found myself meditating. I found myself in moments of complete bliss. I found myself reading a lot more. I journaled. I found myself in awe of realizing that everything we’re taught about food and nutrition is completely wrong. It’s an awakening. Based on what I learned growing up, I should be dead if I’m not eating, right?… Yet I was thriving. On a long term juice feast you “escape the matrix” so to speak. You see the actions people take and everything they consume from a completely different lens than ever before. This "lens" is not the easiest thing to explain and it's something only those who go the distance will really fully understand. I became much more vulnerable and sensitive to energy. I became extra selective with who I'd spend my time with and what I'd be doing. I found myself crying tears of both trapped emotions and tears of intense gratitude. I would be doing some deep breathing or some exercising on a rebounder and I’d have to literally stop just to let out some intense emotion that was coming to the surface. Working with a good therapist is HIGHLY recommend to those who plan to go on a long term juice feast. You will feel much lighter working through your emotions with a professional. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us is a great place to find someone near you.
2. Detoxification symptoms are amplified when juicing. When you turn to a completely raw vegan diet from a lifetime of cooked foods, you’re going to detox. Before my juice feast, I still detoxed heavy. I had things that I’m still not completely sure about pushed out of my skin. I had periods of long intense headaches. I had a few high fevers. I released a lot in the bathroom (TMI, oh well). Overall, every two to three weeks, I had some type of detoxification symptom occur, even when eating lots of fats from avocados, nuts, seeds, gourmet raw meals, etc. Once I went to a 100% liquid diet where 90% of my calories were coming from fruit- that’s when things got real. Extreme emotional detox, two very high fevers, intense dreams, waking up in the middle of the night, parasite cleanses, very painful sore throats, itchy skin, moments of fatigue, a lot of light headedness, and more. Most people will never know what is trapped inside of their bodies deep in their tissues. The average person will just “age” and then unfortunately pass away at a much earlier time then they should have. Humans should be able to live very comfortably past 100 years old. Instead, they’ve normalized “making it” to 80. I know for a fact that humans aren't supposed to spend the 2nd half of their lives slowly deteriorating. Slowly getting weaker and being unable to tolerate certain things, getting larger stomachs, getting on more medication, rapidly losing hair and skin elasticity, moving more slowly, getting Alzheimers because it "runs in the family", getting body aches, etc. The average human doesn't know how good we are designed to feel because that information is kept from us, and it's sad. We should be blissful, thriving beings getting better with age. But the medical community makes it’s money this way. Humans are the ONLY species that cooks their food and consumes in such unnatural ways. We are also the only species with the amounts of manifestations of diseases we have. Those two things go hand in hand. Health is directly first and foremost related to diet. And what I learned through this process is that if you’re not paying for your eating habits now, you will in the future. Everything comes back around. You can call it karma.
3. I have more self control than I knew I did. In my opinion (and the opinion of many experts), the best and most proper way to start eating a Fully Raw Vegan diet is to begin undoing the damage from a lifetime of eating cooked foods, animal flesh, grains, milks, starches, genetically modified non organic foods, etc. from years before. The best way to start this process is by doing a juice fast. The human body is kind of like an onion. There’s layers upon layers to us. Our bodies store and hold onto all kinds of toxins which is what ultimately leads to diseases and degeneration/ accelerated aging. I first went Raw Vegan on February 28th, 2019 (after 2 to 3 months of eating a whole-foods cooked plant based diet). I started eating a lot of fruits of course, but I then felt like I needed to get into gourmet raw comfort foods to help keep me raw. I missed the flavors of my previous favorite foods, but I knew that I didn’t ever want to go back to cooked food. So I found restaurants that served high fat gourmet raw food, and I over indulged. I learned my own recipes and indulged in those at home. I knew that indulging in these foods slowed down the detoxification process, but I didn't ever feel like I had enough self control to just stick to only fruits and juices for more than 2 to 7 days. I remember doubting that I’d ever make it to a 30 day juice feast even though I knew this would be the right thing to do. I did complete one 21 day juice feast when I first went vegan (before going fully raw), but doing this again seemed nearly impossible to me. Well, after 7+ months of contemplating I decided that I had enough. I decided on October 7th, 2019 that I was going to go on a 90 day juice feast. It ended on the morning of day 91 (January 5th, 2020). Watching people document their juice feasting journeys on YouTube and watching fasting experts like John Rose & Dan McDonald helped educate me on what to expect. They became like my online mentors. I watched them every single day. I knew that I didn't want to let myself down. I printed out a quote that reads “Real change occurs when the pain of staying the same hurts more than whatever it is you’re going through” and put it on my room wall. It’s still there today. I now know with confidence that I can complete absolutely anything that I put my mind to. I proved it to myself. How many people can say they’ve gone even 30 days without solid food? Well, I did 90 days. That sense of accomplishment and pride is something I’ll take with me for the rest of my life.
4. We are EXTREMELY backed up as a species. I remember being on day 62 and thinking “How have I not eaten for 60+ days and I’m STILL eliminating?" And I'm a naturally skinny/ slim guy! I'm 5'7 and weigh around 135 pounds. Did you know that the average person has 12 to 14 meals backed up in their system? I now believe it’s even more. Especially for Americans. This was insane to me. Not eating and still eliminating after 60 days? Whaaat? And come to find out, it’s the experience of everyone who goes on a long term juice feast. You eliminate like crazy (in more ways than one). It’s such a liberating feeling to let go of all that sh*t, literally LOL.
5. I would do it again, but probably not for 90 days. I got the experience of a long term juice feast. I literarily spent the last 3 months of 2019 consuming nothing but juice and herbs. To me, that is enough long term juicing for right now. I would most definitely juice feast again but I don't see myself going past 40 days. I plan to do another juice feast in the summer of 2020. I'd eventually like to do a water fast.
In conclusion, long term juice feasting changed my life forever. It changed me not only physically but mentally and emotionally as well. My understanding of life is forever altered. I now understand why all major religions practice fasting to “get closer to God”. This is the closest I’ve ever been to God. And that’s because God is already within me. And when you’re juice feasting you’re facing your demons. You’re facing YOURSELF, and therefore you’re facing God.
If you’re interested in working with me or getting more information about juice feasting, please click here.